Since 1996 the Services and Achievements
Since 1996under the leadership of the popular committee the Red Cross Society has achieved remarkable progress along with the following services and programmes.
- The Ernakulam District Branch was honoured by Indian Red Cross Society with the state level award for the Best District Branch of the year 2001.
- The Life Membership which was less than 100 in 1996 have been brought to more than 2600, in addition to ordinary members
- Identity cards and badges were issued to all Life members.
- Diamond Jubilee of IRCS Ernakulam District Branch was celebrated and a Souvenir was published in January 2005 and veteran senior members were honoured.
- Taluk Branches and Sub Branches are active in all taluks with elected office bearers. They have taken up various programmes such as blood donation, medical camps, blindness eradication programmes, health education, awareness drives, accident prevention measures, pain and palliative care unit etc.
- The Government of Kerala has granted 25 cents of land near civil station Kakkanad on lease for 99 years. The adjacent 5 ½ cents of land was allotted to us by the Thrikkakara Grama Panchayat.Red Cross Bhavan Geriatric Medical centre is functioning here.
- An Office building was constructed at General Hospital campus adjacent to Red Cross Hall to facilitate easy accessibility to the members and the public. Services of an Office Manager and an Office Assistant are being provided to deal with day to day office matters . The Aluva Taluk branch also has an office building of it’s own.
- First Aid Course of St. John Ambulance Association, N.Delhi-16 hours course - is being arranged regularly at Red Cross Hall and Industrial concerns involving Senior Medical Officers as Lecturers and using the audio visual aids for demonstration. During the last ten years more than 10000 persons were trained in the First Aid Course of St. John Ambulance and we prepared them to meet emergency situation in the community.
- Junior Red Cross is intended to inculcate leadership qualities and to build up love and service and international friendship among the younger generation. The first JRC unit was formed at Govt. Girls High School in1954- 55 by Smt. Ambadi Karthayni amma. The first District Level
JRC camp was organized by Mrs. Retnakala S Menon Now there are more than 120 JRC units in schools, with particular uniform and regular programmes. Orientation seminar for JRC Counselors (teachers) and the District level 3 days study circle (camp) for the JRC cadets are organized every year. JRC platoons of the selected schools are participating in the parades of the Republic day and Independence day celebrations organized at the District head quarters by the Govt.. To encourage life saving action in accidents, Jeevan Raksha Award is offered to the best JRC cadet, who will be selected at the District level. The eligible JRC cadets will get 10
marks as bonus marks in SSLC examination asper Govt.order issued in this regard.
- Youth Red Cross was formed in the year 2000 with District level committee. The objectives of the YRC are to develop the personality of younger generation with leadership quality and positive attitude for community service and International friendship. YRC members in colleges are rendering yeoman services as Red Cross Volunteers.
- As a primary responsibility, Indian Red Cross Society, Ernakulam District Branch has rendered valuable RELIEF SERVICES for the people whenever natural calamities occurred. We also mobilized the resources for the victims of Kashmir earthquake in 2005, Tsunami affected victims in our coastal belt in December 2004, Gujarat earthquake in 2002 and Orissa Cyclone in 2000 by sending relief materials worth millions of rupees. When Gujarat earthquake occurred we sent a medical team of 3 Doctors and 3 nurses to provide medical aid to the victims . Whenever natural calamities occurred in Kerala we extended our support for the relief of the victims of the disaster with food and materials by mobilizing the resources from various agenciesWe mobilized funds towards Japan Relief services also.
- Child Development Clinic is being conducted on all Wednesdays at the Red Cross Hall in collaboration with Pediatrics dept. & Family welfare Dept. of General Hospital Ernakulam. We are offering free immunization to all children and special care services to the handicapped below five years. Hundreds of families are benefited by the service
- Home Nursing services are provided with trained home nurses by Aluva Taluk branch.
- A sample study on handicapped was conducted at Mulavucad Panchayat for the future planning of service programmes.
- Blood grouping and blood donation services are encouraged and a directory of blood donors is introduced at Taluk level
- Medical aid for Mental patients By considering the pathetic condition of the mental patients and their families, the Medical Aid programme was inaugurated on the World Red Cross Day in the year 2006. The project is to supply the prescribed medicines to the mental patients, who can’t afford to purchase the medicines because of their poor financial condition Psychiatrists have reported that the medicines prescribed by them will cure the mental complaints and the patients can be brought them back to normal life, provided the patients are taking the medicines regularly for a longer period.The project is organized in collaboration with the psychiatric Dept. of the General Hospital, Ernakulam. Periodical medical check up of the patients is arranged.
- Awards were instituted for betterment of service
a) Jeevan Raksha Awards (senior and junior) are introduced for the best performance in life
saving activities when accidents occurred.
b) Best Taluk Hospital award is introduced for the improvement of the hospital services
c) Best Indian Red Cross Society Taluk Branch Award is introduced to strengthen the
activities of Taluk Branch
d) Rolling Trophy for the best ward of the General Hospital is introduced to strengthen the
services at the ward level of the hospital.
e) Best Nurse, Best Nursing Assistant & Best Attender awards were offered to improve the
Performance of the personnel.
f) Best Youth Red cross Unit award
g) Best Youth red Cross Cadet award
h) Best Junior Red Cross units awards(1&11)
RED CROSS BHAVAN GERIATRIC MEDICAL CENTRE
Red Cross Bhavan,Kakkanad an associate of Indian Red Cross Society, is running a Geriatric medical Centre for the physical, mental and social welfare of aged people. The three storied building at Kakkanad with a plinth area of 10000sq.ft stands as a successful joint venture of Indian Red Cross Society, District Panchayat,Thrikkakara Municipality,Edappally Block Panchayat, and the District Administration. The following are some of the services provided at the centre:-
-Eye clinic with facilities for cataract operation
-Physiotherapy services for the disabled
-Day care centre (Pakalveedu) with free food for the participants
-Senior Citizens meeting for poor aged patients
The project is first of its kind in India from the angle of its services for the aged and its joint implementation by having collaboration with local bodies, district administration, prominent medical institutions and voluntary contribution of the public.